Don't get too excited, there's no stout in it, or any other beer for that matter. This morning, after eating hardly anything yesterday, I was ravenously dreaming about hash browns.
Sometimes, it's the simple things you skip by, and I realized I'd never made hash browns that didn't come out of a bag in the freezer. Since we have a big bag of potatoes, I thought it would be silly to not make them from scratch at least once. And of course, since the gallstone issues recently I've been having pizza fantasies since I shouldn't eat all that cheese. Add to that an unrequited craving for Mexican food, and this morning's breakfast was born.
1 link Johnsonville Chorizo, removed from casing
2 small (or 1 large) potato, shredded (with skin on, why not?)
1/3 medium onion finely diced
2 eggs, beaten with a splash of milk
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Brown the chorizo, breaking it up into small pieces as you go
2. Remove from pan, add a splash of canola oil
3. Mix the potato and onion together, then spread in the pan to the edges as thin as you can
4. When the potato "pancake" is golden on the bottom, flip it over
5. Put the chorizo on top
6. Spread the beaten egg mixture on top
7. Top with shredded cheese
8. Put a lid on to help the cheese melt and the eggs cook
When the bottom of your creation is golden to medium brown, remove from pan and serve. It holds together pretty nicely, and made a really hearty portion for 2 people. The hash browns were still crispy, the egg was cooked and the cheese was gooey.
Was it healthy? No. But it sure did my soul a lot of good!