Monday, June 20, 2011

Cinnamon Biscuits

While I made these over the weekend, I wanted to hold off on blogging the recipe until I knew how they were the next day.  If you live alone, or your housemate(s) aren't voracious eaters, there will be leftovers and I thought it important to taste-test them at all stages.

Happy to report, they're awesome fresh out of the oven and they're also good at room temperature the next day without anything extra on them.  I left off the frosting idea, because I had a hunch they'd be sweet enough on their own, and I was right.  I plan on using the same biscuit recipe for something savory at a later date, because it was pretty awesome on its own.  Here you are:

Whisk together in a large bowl:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder

Add 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces.

Cut the butter into the flour until it's the size of small peas (pastry blender for the win!), and add:

3/4 cup half and half  (note, I didn't have half & half, I used 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup whipping cream)

Stir the moo juice (hey, you try describing it any other way) into the butter/flour mixture until it all comes together.

Turn out onto a lightly floured board, and roll out into a rectangle about 1/2 and inch thick.

Brush lightly with a tablespoon or two of room temperature (ie softened) butter.  Sprinkle some brown sugar over it, and sprinkle cinnamon over to taste (I used a lot but didn't measure, be creative).  Roll the dough up on the long edge.  Seal the ends, and cut into 1 inch pieces.

Put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and into a 400 F degree oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.  The cinnamon smell is going to make you nuts, thankfully it doesn't take that long.

And there you have it.  If you eat one too soon, you're going to burn your mouth (voice of experience), but you can knock these out in a jiffy.  Remember, it *is* a biscuit recipe so they won't be light and fluffy cinnamon rolls, but good heavens it's certainly a worthy substitute when you don't want to wait for yeast to rise!

Bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment