Thursday, July 21, 2011

Alan's Spicy Pork

I blame a coworker for this recipe, he said "if you come up with a pulled pork recipe that you think I might like, feel free to pass it along". within 5 minutes, I'd written the first draft, and then the final draft the next day:

The people in the Bengali region of India like to add a little sweetness to their recipes, so this is my nod to that part of India, designed for the American kitchen.  You could serve this on couscous, or shred it and make it into a sandwich or a wrap, or use leftover sauce and serve it over rice.  It's a pretty versatile idea.

 You’ll need a crockpot and a blender or food processor for this.

Puree:


1 chipotle chili (from can with adobo sauce)
2 roasted Pasilla chiles, seeded and peeled
6 cloves garlic
2 tsp ginger (I was out of fresh, so used the kind in a jar)
½ cup lowfat greek yogurt
¼ cup honey
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 cup chopped onion
1 serrano chile, seeded
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp ground coriander

And of course, put a little in the bottom of the crock pot, put the pork in and then cover it with the rest of the sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.

The review:

  • I used a 2 pound pork sirloin roast.  It was on sale for $5 and I figured it was a nice lean option
  • I was going to get poblano peppers instead of the pasilla, but honestly I don't know what the difference is and they didn't have poblanos, so you use what you can find.
  • I roasted the pasillas in the toaster oven to avoid heating up the whole house
  • I really didn't want to take the time to make a side dish, so I just made a box of wild mushroom couscous I had on hand.
  • The pork, of course, was so tender I had to use tongs and a spoon to get it out of the crock pot.
  • As expected, it wouldn't slice so don't plan on this being pretty for presentation.

As for the taste - it was spicy!  If you don't like it hot, you may want to consider putting only half of the chipotle in, or none at all.  I was expecting a slightly more sweet/smoky/spicy balance of flavors, but in spite of the honey it wasn't that sweet.  Still, it was definitely worth repeating and the next time I may just make the sauce and cook chicken breasts in it.  Your comments, of course, are welcome  :)

Bon Appetit!


1 comment: