Sunday, August 4, 2013

Shrimp & Garlic Pasta

Do you ever get cravings that you just can't explain?  Yeah, me too.  I think all foodies go through it in different ways.

Last week, my soul was crying out for shrimp and garlic.  I also really really wanted some parmesan cheese, so that means pasta.

I made enough to last a few days, so I'm going to tone down the proportions a little from what I did.  These are approximations, so you'll have to use your best judgment and trust your instincts when you make it.

I've had a glass of wine tonight, so please understand that in the Directions section I'm assuming you know how to cook.

Ingredients:

Whole wheat spaghetti  (I don't use any other kind these days), enough for two people.
1/2 pound of raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed
4 garlic cloves
1/4 of a large onion
Parmesan cheese

Directions:

This dish doesn't take long, so right away start the water for your pasta.  Add the pasta when the water comes to a roiling boil and put in tablespoon or so of salt.  Cook til al dente.

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick pan.
Finely chop the onion and garlic.
Put the onion in the hot oil, and stir til it's softened.
Add the garlic and spinach, sprinkle with some freshly ground black pepper.
Stir 1-2 minutes and add the shrimp.
Stir until the shrimp is all pink, and turn the heat off.
Add the cooked spaghetti and toss to mix thoroughly.

You can add the parmesan at the table per serving, or toss 1/4 cup or so with the whole thing, that's up to you.  Ordinarily I'd use fresh grated parmesan, but I was out used the dried stuff.  I think for this purpose, it worked better than fresh grated would have.

Serve with a glass of white wine and a salad, and dinner's done.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment