Friday, January 27, 2012

Vegetables with breakfast

For some of you reading this, you just did a mental double-take.  That's OK, I did too at first.

But in talking with folks at work who come from other cultures, I found that it's quite common.  Sweet sugary things are an alien concept to them first thing in the morning, so I started experimenting a few months ago with throwing some frozen chopped spinach in a pan and then scrambling eggs with it.

It's fantastic.

After recently watching the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" I was reminded about micronutrients (vitamins) coming primarily from produce, and the macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, etc.) coming from animal products.  I know this is a generality and that you can find some in either grouping, and that vegans get enough protein, so simmer down.  It's just a generality.

What I've discovered through my own personal experimentation is that eating vegetables in the morning gives me more energy throughout the day.  Sometimes I'll juice fruits/veggies, sometimes I'll cook and eat them (see below), but I'm definitely finding a lift in my energy levels when I eat veggies in the morning versus when I don't.

Try it yourself, start out easy like adding sauteed mushrooms and peppers to your omelette.  Work your way up to broccoli and spinach, and note the difference in how you feel.  After all, if your morning meal makes you feel great, it sets a lovely tone for the start of the day!

Because my body needs protein in the morning, I do what I call a "healthier compromise", so here was this morning's breakfast.

Ingredients:

1 chipotle tortilla (from Trader Joe's, but you could use whole wheat)
2 slices lean bacon
1 egg
2 mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach
1 slice of sharp cheddar cheese, diced

Directions:

Put the bacon in a non-stick skillet, and cook til crisp.  You're going to eat it on the side.

Put the mushrooms and frozen chopped spinach in the bacon fat (there should be about 2 tbsp left in the pan), and sautee til it is defrosted and the mushrooms start to release their liquid.

Crack the egg into the pan, and stir until it's mixed well with the veggies and cooked.  Put the cheese on the tortilla, then the veggie/egg scramble on top of that, and the tortilla in the pan for about 2 minutes.  It will heat up and slightly crisp, then roll up and enjoy.

Because my tortilla had a nice kick to it already, I didn't feel the need to add salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment